Monday, November 1, 2010

Scary Movies


I know I'm posting this a tad late to contribute to the tension building that leads up to Halloween...but, unfortunately I didn't find my inspiration for this entry until last night. So, when it's Christmas season, we watch Christmas movies and when it's Halloween season, we watch scary-as-all-heck movies. Here are the thrillers I watched this season;


1. A Haunting in Connecticut- Creep factor of about 7. The story is complete fiction...but it is not generic like many of its kind. The family is dealing with some real issues before they move into the house where strange events take place. The oldest son has advanced stage cancer. The dad is a recovering alcoholic. The mom is dedicated to keeping her family together. Then they rent the house...and the creepy stuff that happens makes my skin crawl. When the movie is over, the scare is gone...because it couldn't happen. The reality factor is at zero.

2. Halloween: the Resurrection- Creep factor of about 4. This movie is mostly stupid with a LOT of fake blood. If I could see the budget for the making of this film, I'm sure the highest line items would be A. Jamie Lee Curtis' paycheck, and B. Fake blood. I couldn't help letting out a few laughs at the scenes that were intended to strike terror in the audience...so lame.

3. Strangers- Creep factor of a solid 10!!!! This story is so scary because some sadistic freaks out there would actually attempt this type of thing. I've always felt like the scariest part of a movie is when you know the bad guy is there but you can't see him and neither can the victim. Throughout this movie the 'strangers' (1 man and 2 women) wear masks and show up seemingly out of nowhere. They never say very much...maybe 5 words through the whole movie (super creepy). They move slow and with intention. The power is in the hands of the strangers and they know it the entire time. I couldn't get my heart to beat normally for even a minute during this movie. As an adult, it is rare for a movie to give me bad dreams, but this one did it for me! SCARY!

4. Zombieland- Creep factor of 2. This movie was clearly not meant to be scary. I can't even tell you how many times I laughed throughout the film. My favorite things were the "Rules". If you need a good laugh to clear out the fear from watching Strangers, definitely watch Zombieland. Beware: contents include lots and lots of F-bombs.


Well, I hope this help you out...maybe you'll post your thoughts about these movies...?

~Cinema Sampler

No comments:

Post a Comment